- 1, 16 oz. can chickpeas (no added salt) – drained and rinsed
- 2 ripe avocados from Mexico – peeled, pitted and cut into eighths
- Juice of 2 limes
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic - peeled (more or less depending on taste)
- 1 jalapeño – stem and seeds removed
- ¼ medium red onion
- 5 - 10 dashes hot sauce (i.e. Tabasco or Frank’s Red Hot Sauce)
- 1 ½ teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Pinch salt and fresh pepper
- Blend all ingredients but avocado and red onion in a food processor until well combined but still chunky. Add avocado and red onion and pulse until it becomes a chunky puree (you may have to scrap the sides a few times).
- Transfer hummus to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
- Serve with grilled 100% whole grain pitas (cut into 1/8ths) or tortilla chips.