- ¼ cup (60 ml) butter
- ¼ cup (60 ml) all-purpose flour
- 4 cups (1L) 3.25% milk
- A pinch of nutmeg
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) chopped parsley
- 1 baguette, cut in half length-wise
- 12 oz. (400 g) black forest ham, sliced
- 12 oz. (400 g) 2-year aged cheddar, grated
- Flesh of one avocado, sliced
- Oven temperature: 200°C/400°F
- In a large pot, cook the butter with the flour on medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes. Add the milk and nutmeg and, using a whisk, stir constantly until the milk is hot (but do not let it boil). Add salt and pepper. Let cool.
- Place the 4 pieces of bread on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper. Add the parsley to the bechamel sauce and stir.
- Spread the bechamel sauce on the bread. Top with ham and sprinkle with the grated cheese. Cook in the centre of the oven for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown. Serve garnished with avocado slices.