- 500 gr elbow pasta
- 1-1/2 cups skim milk
- 3 small garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley leaves
- 2 fully ripened Avocados from Mexico halved, pitted, peeled and diced (about 2 cups), divided
- 5 ounces reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese from 10-ounce package, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped chives
- In large sauce pot, cook pasta in salted water according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine milk, garlic, nutmeg and chili powder. Bring to a boil; reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes.
- When pasta is almost cooked, in the blender place the parsley leaves, 1-1/2 cups of the diced avocado, the cheese, lime juice and hot milk with garlic cloves; whirl until smooth.
- Drain pasta and return to sauce pot. Pour cheese sauce over pasta; toss to combine. Add chives and remaining 1/2 cup diced avocado; toss gently. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Preparation and cooking time is about 15 minutes. Best when served the day of preparation.
- Variations: Use linguine in place of elbow macaroni and add sautéed bay scallops; use rotini (spiral shape) in place of elbow macaroni and add steamed shrimp; add spring vegetables to basic recipe.